It has been so wonderful seeing all of the familiar faces entering my classroom this week. We have already gotten to work reviewing the musical concepts and skills that we learned last year and beginning to learn new skills as well! In my classroom this week…
- we discussed what respect, responsibility, and resilience looks like in instrumental music lessons
- we learned specific routines for entering and exiting my classroom in order to make the most effective use of our instructional time and space
- we jumped back into music reading by trying to identify 4 different “mystery themes” from TV and movies
- strings students began diving into the foundations of tuning in order to eventually become more independent in the tuning process
- woodwind and brass students learned some more advanced instrument maintenance in order to have cleaner instruments in better working condition (and to prevent extra trips to the music repair shop!)
- percussion students are improving their concentration and ability to follow a conductor by playing a fun game we call “rumble ball”
- we also introduced the Review Challenge—where students are challenged to play 5 different levels of songs from their books in order to earn their special GOLD belt!
As we are all getting back into our routines, here are a couple of reminders for you:
- In order to make progress on their instruments, students are expected to practice at least 75 minutes a week (15 min a day/5 days a week). Students should be recording their practice times on their practice charts. I handed them out this week, and attached a copy to this email. This practice chart will last for the entire first marking period.
- Concert dates are already up on my website, so be sure to mark your calendars early! I know how busy the school year can get as it progresses. Click here to view the dates: http://maemusic.weebly.com/concert-dates.html or see below:
FEBRUARY 1- 5TH/6TH GRADE SIDE-BY-SIDE BAND CONCERT
MARCH 7- SIDE-BY-SIDE ORCHESTRA CONCERT
MAY 23- ADVANCED BAND, ORCHESTRA, AND CHORUS SPRING CONCERT
I am looking forward to a fantastic year working with all of our young musicians! We have a great group this year, and some fun music to get started on!
Have a great weekend,